Tuesday, November 18, 2008

KeriKeri Half Marathon



2,500 runners, 13 miles, going potty in the bushes, walking more than running, getting dehydrated, eating snapper, driving a very very long way and playing card games. All in all it was a fun and exciting weekend. We worked our way up to the half marathon by walking about 10 miles for a couple of weekends before the big race. So Miriam and I were kind of ready for the main event. It was a fun atmosphere and we all felt pretty good about our accomplishment. I got bit by a mystery bug at the Bay of Islands and my forearm is swollen and itchy. The Area Doctor is taking care of me and watching it closely. I have something called cellulitis. The medicine is working well. I just finished a quick trip to Samoa where I had a flashback experience to my own mission over 30 years ago. My replacement went with me. They put us up in a small house, we finished each night and started each day with companion prayer, wore white shirts and read the Book of Mormon each morning as we each consumed half a box of cold cereal. We have another trip to Tonga coming up. Then its vacation time in the South Island and home to Utah, just in time to shovel snow and enjoy a white Christmas.

No comments: