Thursday, December 20, 2007

Mir was in the car, not the pigs...




I was able to go to Tonga with Bob on this trip. I really loved it. It surprised me how much different Tonga is from Samoa. I guess that I thought all the Polynesian islands were just alike. It was really fun for us. We went to the main island of Tongatapu. This island is about as flat as a pancake. But there are 169 islands in Tonga and they are not all flat. Nuku' alofa is the capital. That is where the Mission home is and the some of the King's palaces. The Temple and church campus are south west in another area. Within the week we drove on about every road on the island. We found the beautiful white beaches, The Chief's Whistle (Mapu 'a Vaea) or the blow holes, a fairly good snorkeling beach(saw and eel first thing), the huge flying fox (gigantic bats), an ancient Stone Hedge type thing, Old Tonga and so many really truly sweet villages. Their motto is the friendly islands and they are very friendly. I just love to say hello to everyone and people smile and say hello back. The last walk I went on I came back with 6 children. The first boy (Melchizedeke) had an older boy ride him up to me and drop him off. He said he was chasing me and I was walking too fast. He asked if he could walk and talk with me. We had such a nice time. His friends joined us at the end. I found some food to give to them and a Children's Friend. His mom has died many years ago as many children's parents die young. Most women had families of 11 plus children. I think they just wear themselves out. They work so hard.
We were staying in the same home that they put Elder Nelson in at the re dedication of the Temple just a few weeks ago. They call it the Palace. In the front room there are 5 full size couches alone. We were very comfortable. Quite a contrast to the very humble homes that most everyone lives in. Just across from the Temple their are homes that have no indoor plumbing and have no electricity. I enjoyed attending the temple while Bob was working. Most everything was done in Tongan, unlike Samoa. I did 7 sessions in the 3 days. I enjoyed the sweet workers. I met a newly returned missionary there. We talked for over an hour. His mission will literally change the course of his life. He now speaks very good English and has many opportunities that he didn't have before. He had never left Tonga before his mission. He believes that many of the blessings that are upon the Kingdom now are here because the Temple is now working and has been rededicated. All the unrest in the Kingdom happened when the temple was not being used and under construction. He told me many wonderful stories. He lost both of his parents when he was quite young and has 10 brothers and sisters.
One morning I drove to the other side alone. I was on a small dirt road near the ocean, the bush was growing up close to the road. I always remember that people insist I not go alone so often. I passed a man on the side of the road that was just really watching me for a long time. He had a big rope. It kind of spooked me. As I was leaving I was probably driving faster than I should of. A large pig came out of the bush followed by her 5-6 very small piggies. I hit some of the last ones. As I put on the brakes my camera fell to the floor where I spotted the shells I had just gathered and they were walking around. That was a bit unnerving also. I went to the larger road and stopped, escorting the shells out of the car. I turned the car around to go check on the pigs. I couldn't find them but found a large wild horse that I think the man must have been after. (They eat horses) I am very sorry about the little pigs.

The part that was the hardest must have been the food. I had trouble with it. At a buffet I ate something that really gave me a bad time. I thought I might be allergic to it by the feeling in my throat and mouth but after 15 min it passed. The raw fish was actually the best thing on my plate. We did find some good food at the expensive restaurant that we ate at with the King's brother and guards. Some men brought a pig in and the restaurant did everything to get it ready and then brought it out on a plate with all the garnishing. They eat the WHOLE thing. The Best part of the week were the dear missionaries and employees that we met there. They surely give up a lot and absolutely love it so much even though it is quite hard. A sister told me about one of her days. In the shower she had a poisonous centipede on her brow and she knocked in down on her foot. Then at the employment center that she serves in, she had a large hairy gecko fall off of the door jam, right in front of her. In the afternoon she was pulling wash in and just about stepped on a rat. She was really shook up after that day. They told us some amazing success stories about the programs that are in place down there to help the people. It makes us want to give much more to help out these sweet humble people.

No comments: