Saturday and great weather sent us to the west coast. The sea on that side of New Zealand is called the Tasman Sea. All the sand is black. Very soft and very cool. We went with the Duvalls, who are senior missionaries in the Aukland Mission. When you go to the web album you will see alot of birds. They are called Gannets. This is a Gannet colony. They are all nesting on this big rock and cliff. They lay one egg. If you look closely you will see some baby birds underneath their mummy. The birds learn to fly then take off to Australia. Eventually they return to the same nest they were hatched in to lay their own egg.
The ocean is very cool here. Lots of people fishing and having a great time. There was a group of guys waiting for huge waves to come in and they would jump into them. Check out the movie clip. It looked like a blast. There were a lot of surfers catching the waves. The drive out to the coast was very nice. Lots of vineyards and sheep. So we learned about birds, saw some very cool coastline, and had a nice time.
Well it was time for my first New Zealand haircut. You all know how I procrastinate getting the haircut. Most places are about $20. Well, Miriam and I saw a place down a little alley with a sign that said. "Tattoos, body piercing, and haircuts" and the haircut was only $10!. So we decided to give it a try. After work on Monday I went to the little shop in my suit and white shirt. I said, can I get a hair cut? They said sure and a nice Maori girl showed me to a chair. They asked me where I was from and I told them Utah. Then the owner came over and asked...Are you an Elder? I said no but I work for the Church. Do you know the missionaries? Yes! she said, we cut their hair! I told them my wife told me to come and get a haircut and make sure I don't come home with a tattoo or any body piercing. They thought that was funny. The Maoris have very coarse hair and while she was cutting my hair she started to pet it and say your hair is sooooo soft!
They were very nice people and they did a great job. On the way out I ran into another expat and he asked me where I had been. I told him the tattoo shop getting a hair cut. He was shocked but now he is going next week!
The ocean is very cool here. Lots of people fishing and having a great time. There was a group of guys waiting for huge waves to come in and they would jump into them. Check out the movie clip. It looked like a blast. There were a lot of surfers catching the waves. The drive out to the coast was very nice. Lots of vineyards and sheep. So we learned about birds, saw some very cool coastline, and had a nice time.
Well it was time for my first New Zealand haircut. You all know how I procrastinate getting the haircut. Most places are about $20. Well, Miriam and I saw a place down a little alley with a sign that said. "Tattoos, body piercing, and haircuts" and the haircut was only $10!. So we decided to give it a try. After work on Monday I went to the little shop in my suit and white shirt. I said, can I get a hair cut? They said sure and a nice Maori girl showed me to a chair. They asked me where I was from and I told them Utah. Then the owner came over and asked...Are you an Elder? I said no but I work for the Church. Do you know the missionaries? Yes! she said, we cut their hair! I told them my wife told me to come and get a haircut and make sure I don't come home with a tattoo or any body piercing. They thought that was funny. The Maoris have very coarse hair and while she was cutting my hair she started to pet it and say your hair is sooooo soft!
They were very nice people and they did a great job. On the way out I ran into another expat and he asked me where I had been. I told him the tattoo shop getting a hair cut. He was shocked but now he is going next week!
2 comments:
Miriam~
I just wanted to let you know how much I loved your last phone call, it was just like you were right here. I am just so tickled that you are working with the missionaries. We missed you today at Thanksgiving Dinner, it's much worse to have you gone over the Holidays. We sure had a good time though. You are in our prayers along with all the missionaries. We love you and will see you later.
~Love Your Mother
Dear Miriam & Bob
It was good to Scott, Laura, Dan and their families with us today. We had about 60 at the dinner in our cultural hall today. Bryan was with us as well. Tonight many are here for pie.
Peter's wife Amy shot a 350 lb cow elk near Woodruff as Deseret Land & Livestock. It has attracted some attention hanging under our deck.
Scott showed us your pictures on the screen. We are happy that you are at such a nice place. May the Lord continnue to bless you.
Love Lynn
****
Grandpa wrote all this on a piece of paper for me to put into the computer while Grandma dictaded hers to me. We all love you and miss you - Love Dan & Erin
Post a Comment